These pasts two weekends have been AMAZING! Last week my mother flew in to Toronto to visit me for a few days before jetting off to the U.K. where she grew up. It was such a lovely weekend – the sun was out the entire time, we took her to delicious restaurants that Adam and I love, worked out together, and biked around the island. It was an active weekend to say the least! We also hit up Taste of Toronto in Fort York and sampled everything that didn’t have a price tag – non alcoholic champagne (what?), Popchips, different types of cheese, a million types of olive oils, coconut water, etc.
The next day we rented my mother a bike and headed over to Toronto Island! I had no idea how big the island actually was, having only been there to lie on the beach or go to music festivals. We covered the entire island, including checking out different marinas, the neighbourhood where people actually LIVE on the island, and a super secluded an authentic patio/bar where all the boat owners hang out. It was so nice spending time with her – I really don’t get to see her enough since I left home in 2009 to go to school, and every minute counts! Also Winston the fat cat is hopelessly in love with her, and now spends his days moping around the house, putting up with Adam and I sticking boxes on his head for laughs.
This past weekend was also super fun with quite a bit more drinking and sun tanning than actual workouts. Adam and I headed to Toronto Island again to meet some friends, and had an amazing time throwing around a football and soaking up the sun. Some man even brought his TURTLE to the beach (re: feature photo at the top!) – what a wonderful human! He told me he brings her to the island as often as possible, and lets Mertle (the turtle) swim around under water. That is some serious love right there
Because of the wonderful weather things have been a bit hectic on the weekends lately, so unfortunately my workout video posts have taken the biggest hit. I don’t think I had a chance to post about my most recent workout video which is the No Gym Cardio & Butt Workout! I filmed this one on vacation in Mexico, and it combines strength exercises with a few high intensity cardio exercises. See below for the recap:
1. Step Up/Knee Drive (L/R): Plant your foot on a raised surface, about 12 inches off the ground, and keep it there for the duration of the exercise. Using the opposite foot, step back behind so you are in a lunge position. Push the heel of the foot that is raised into the bench, and using your glute muscles, step the back foot up and drive your knee up. Slowly bring the knee back down and back into the lunge position before repeating the exercise. You should be feeling this especially in the glute muscles of the leg that is raised. Repeat on BOTH sides.
2. Weighted Sumo Squats: If you’re not at a gym, be creative with the weight. I just grabbed one of the bigger rocks that I could lift and used that. Stand with your feet greater than shoulder width apart with your feet pointed out. Squat down about 90 degrees making sure that your knees are inline with your toes. Don’t let them fall in towards the middle. Stand up again, squeezing your glutes together. This exercise works out the inner thighs, quads, as well your glutes.
3. Toe Taps: Now for some cardio! Find another raised surface just 6 or so inches off the ground. Switch your feet back and forth, tapping the surface of the rock/bench with the front half of your foot. Use your arms to swing back and forth with your feet similar to a running motion. Go as fast as possible for 45 seconds
4. 3 Pulsing Squats: Start with your feet shoulder width apart, with your chest up. Squat down, bending slightly at the hips and at the knees. Rise very slightly before squatting back down to the original position. Repeat these small pulses three times before standing up completely. Make sure that you keep your chest up and avoid letting your bum tuck underneath (a posterior pelvic tuck which can be dangerous for your back).
5. High Knees (Arms Above Head): Last cardio exercise of this set – Start with your arms above your head, stretched out. Start jogging on the spot, bringing your knees high up, trying to get them to reach belly button height each time. Go as fast as you can for the 45 seconds! This is your burnout before giving yourself a short rest.
What was the latest workout you did?
Do you like to hit the gym on weekends?