Holla holla lovassss. Can I just first say that I am soo happy with myself for these Valentines Day Overnight Oats photos? I know they’re nothing to phone home about (except I phoned my mom and told her all about them), but I really am trying to step up in the world of photography. I’ve learnt that there are few things more satisfying than setting up the perfect layout and getting the exact shot you were hoping for.
I am SUPER excited for this Valentines Day, not because I get to celebrate it with the love of my life (Sorry Adam!), but because one of my closest and coolest friends from New York is coming to visit me in Toronto. The two of us suffered through hours and hours of finance and commerce classes together, but in the end only one of us made it to the big leagues (guess what, it wasn’t me).
Also the NBA All Star Weekend is happening in Toronto from Feb 12-14th, so rather than having a romantic dinner with my boo, we’ll probably all go out and drink way too many beers while watching the game. Not to mention it’s a holiday on the Monday here in Toronto, so it’s a great weekend all around!
Last year for Valentines Day I made Adam and I the cutest pancake breakfast, complete with gifts, cards, and tea! This year I wanted to do something a little more festive and holiday themed and these Valentines Day Overnight Oats are what I came up with.
Everything needs to be made the night before so the jam has time to cool, and the oats/milk/chia seeds can soak everything up. This will give you more time in the morning anyway to spend some time with your lover *winky winky.* See?! I’m only thinking of you guys. And me.
These Valentines Day Overnight Oats are:
Quick & Easy
The jam can be made with fresh or frozen raspberries, but I definitely recommend fresh raspberries for on top (if you have em, and they aren’t $6 a box). And you can use any sort of toppings you like, but I preferred cacao chips. They’re totally bitter and strange to eat on their own, but sprinkled on top of this breakfast they blend right in!
- Raspberry Jam
- 1 cup frozen/fresh raspberries
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Overnight Oats
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp honey/other sweetener
- For the jam, place your raspberries and coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir until the berries have turned mushy and the juices are coming out, about 4-5 minutes. Add the honey/syrup and chia seeds. Keep stirring until it reaches your desired consistency (another 5-10 minutes) and then remove from heat. Allow to cool down and then scoop into a container/jar and place in fridge
- For the overnight oats, combine the oats, chia seeds, almond milk and sweetener in a bowl. Mix together until everything is interspersed (especially the chia seeds).
- Place in fridge for 6-8 hours.
- Before eating, scoop about 1/3 cup into a mason jar. Add a layer of raspberry jam and another layer oats. Add a final layer of jam and top with fresh raspberries, cacao nibs, and whatever toppings you desire.