Summer is ALMOST here, and although I take clean eating seriously all year, I take it ESPECIALLY seriously now (ignore my awful Engrish). I am mindful of the fact that I am going to be running around in a bikini every single weekend, and want to look my best! I haven’t been doing so hot though recently; this weekend alone I had nachos for dinner, pancakes for breakfast, dim sum, bags of chips, and I think a pizza was thrown into the mix as well… So basically nothing has changed at all. But I’m not too bummed, food is delicious and I enjoy every bite of it.
BUT I thought that I would try to give myself a boost in the breakfast department with the creation of these breakfast cookies packed with fruits, nuts, and oats!
If you haven’t already read about my love affair with Bulk Barn, then now is a good time to take a read. Especially if you’re hoping to make these superfood breakfast cookies! That is one of my favorite things about the store – although the prices are not as cheap as you’d expect them to be, it is so convenient! I can get everything I need to make a particular recipe, even if it has the most random ingredients in it. These cookies have chia seeds, hemp seeds, almond butter, almond (or oat) flour, plus cranberries and dark chocolate chips. Everything you could want to make a delicious yet nutritious cookie, but not the easiest ingredients to get a hold of. Unless you are a super health freak and already have these items sitting in your pantry, I would suggest taking a trip to the bulk store!
Anyway, these cookies are so good for a morning snack or for an on-the-go breakfast. There is no refined sugar in them, the honey and chocolate chips add just the perfect amount of sweetness! I wrapped a couple up each morning and took them to work, but ate them before I even got on the streetcar. I have no will power. Hence nachos for dinner at least once a week.
- 1 c oat or almond flour
- 3/4 c oats
- 1/3 c chia seeds
- 1/3 c hemp seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c cranberries
- 1/2 c dark chocolate chips
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 c almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 c honey
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and sprinkle with flour. Set aside
- In a large bowl, blend together the banana, almond butter, vanilla, honey, melted butter, and 2 eggs
- In a separate bowl mix together all the dry ingredients except for the cranberries and chocolate chips
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, about 1/2 cup at a time
- Once fully combined, fold in the cranberries and chocolate chips
- Place spoonfuls onto the parchment paper
- Bake in oven for about 15-17 minutes, or until lightly brown on top