These past few weeks, life has been insaaaaanely hectic. First I was in Chicago for the Nike #getouthere challenge weekend. The weekend after that I hosted my first Christmas party for mine and Adam’s friends (which meant I spent all day cleaning and cooking and the entire next day cleaning up all the cooking). Not to mention with it being the holiday season, there are events happening around the clock in Toronto!
The Christmas party went off really well, considering I had never hosted a party before (cans of beer and a few bags of chips with friends does not count as hosting FYI). I made a myriad of different snacks, including bruschetta, a twist on my favorite baked brie & cranberries by substituting with pomegranates and honey, veggie platter with hummus, chocolate covered pretzels, Christmas cookies, and more! I also decided to set up a donation tin where the money would go to the Daily Bread, a local food bank in Toronto. We raised $125 which I was super pleased about and I’m sure will go a long way for those who need it most.
Next weekend we’re driving up to Ottawa to spend Christmas with Adam’s family, driving back to Toronto, and then a few days later, driving up to Quebec for New Years. TOO MUCH DRIVING.
What i’m trying to get at, is that… life is busy! I’m busy, you’re busy, everyone is busy right now. Which is why this ‘salad’ is my FAVORITE thing to make when I have zero time to prep for lunch. It has everything in it that I love – quinoa, mushrooms, red onion, cherry tomatoes, feta. The beans are a perfect touch, as they are low in fat, but super high in protein and fiber. The extent of making this dish is cooking the quinoa, opening and rinsing a can of beans, chopping some veggies, and then mixing it all together. You’ll be set for a weeks lunch within 30 minutes.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cube chicken/veggie stock
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- 8-10 mushrooms sliced
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions, and add the chicken/veggie cube to the water (Or you can use chicken/veggie stock to cook it in)
- While the quinoa is cooking, open the can of beans and rinse them under cold water. Chop up all the veggies and crumble the feta. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice with olive oil and s&p.
- Once the quinoa has cooked, let cool for about 10-15 minutes. In a large bowl, add the veggies, quinoa, kidney beans, and feta. Mix until evenly distributed.
- You can add the dressing now, or right before you eat it. I prefer to add it ahead of time to allow the dressing to soak into the salad!