If there ever comes a time where you think to yourself, ‘man, there is nothing I would like more than to buy Beverley a gift for making awesome workout videos and awesome recipes and just being straight up awesome,’ then stop those wonderful thoughts right there so I can tell you what to buy me.
MATCHA. Matcha anything. Matcha kit kat, Matcha pocky, Matcha Monsoon Booster Juice, Matcha Frappucinos … OMG. I love everything there is to love about Matcha. Just don’t buy me something that is Matcha flavored but I can’t eat it (like a candle or something), because that’ll just put me in a state of depression until I actually eat it (and I will). And then I will blame you for my stomach pain.
I don’t even need to get into the benefits of Matcha powder, but since you’re here I will quickly run through them. First question:
What is matcha??
Answer: Matcha is a powdered green tea that is created from ground tea leaves produced in Japan. It is superrr concentrated so you only need a tiny bit and it can be drank either hot or cold. Matcha tea is not steeped like regular tea leaves, instead the actual tea leaves (aka fine powder) are dissolved in the hot water. That is why it is so potent!
What are the benefits??
Answer: SO MANY BENEFITS
1. Antioxidants: Matcha has a very high concentration of antioxidants, and contains over 60x the antioxidants that spinach has. Another fun fact is that drinking 8-10 cups of another type of tea is equal to drinking 1/4 teaspoon of matcha. That means a whole lot less trips to the bathroom and a whole lot more health benefits for you!
2. Weight Loss: Matcha can boost your metabolism and increase the rate of fat burning while simultaneously aiding in your digestion!
3. Healthy Skin: The same antioxidants that detoxify and protect your body are also great for giving you great skin. It does this by reducing inflammation and ageing. No wonder people in Japan live for so long!
4. Clear Mind: Matcha contains a high concentration of L-theanine. The benefits of this amino acid is that it reduces blood pressure, anxiety, and promotes relaxation. But it also gives you a clear mind and helps with concentration! Perfect for those days of studying.
I like to use matcha in all sorts of forms such as in tea, smoothies, or even smoothie bowls! I made this the other day when I had some extra time and it was amazing. I topped it with almonds, hemp seeds, Goji berries and pumpkin seeds.
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 frozen banana sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3 ice cubes
- Toppings: granola, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, more banana, almonds, etc
- In a magic bullet or blender add all the ingredients, except for the toppings.
- Blend until fully smooth. Add more frozen fruit to make the smoothie thicker
- Pour it into a bowl and add your toppings!
- Eat with a spoon and enjoy