My favorite type of food is Mexican food. Whenever I go anywhere for breakfast, lunch or dinner, I first eliminate all the foods that have any type of meat in them. Then I go straight for the item that seems the most Mexican-ized! If I’m getting breakfast I’m getting the Mexi – scramble/poached egg/fried egg combo. If I’m getting lunch, it’s FOR SURE going to be a burrito. And if I’m at a bar getting drinks, you’ll be hard pressed to not see me going hard at the nachos.
So to satisfy my never ending quest for Mexican food, I made this awesome Mexi Taco Bowl that is 10x healthier than the taco bowls at Red Burrito, and packed with protein, carbs and your delicious healthy fats!
- Brown rice – cooked
- 300 grams veggie ground beef (yes you can use real minced beef)
- Lettuce (chopped)
- Onion (chopped)
- Avocado (1 inch cubes)
- Tomatoes (1 inch cubes)
- 1 tbsp Fajita Mix (found in the Mexican aisle of the grocery store by the do it yourself taco area)
- Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Salsa & Sour Cream
- Optional: Tortilla Chips
- In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil and add in your onions. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add in your ground beef. For the veggie kind it only takes a few minutes to heat up. For the real beef cook it until it is no longer pink. Add in the fajita mix and stir until completely combined
- Add in your cooked brown rice and mix together until it is heated through. Top this mixture with your grated cheese so that it melts deliciously on top
- Line a bowl with your chopped lettuce leaves, and some tortilla chips on the outside. Scoop the rice and beef mixture on top of the lettuce
- Top with avocado, tomatoes, salsa and sour cream! Enjoy