Working out outside is the best in the summer. Not only do I get to enjoy the sun and be by the beach, but I also get to incorporate different types of exercises to my workout. Since I played rugby for several years I am used to different types of sprinting drills to increase my fitness and endurance levels. I also find it a great way to change up my workout, and get my heart rate up. Sprint exercises are also an awesome way to kick start your metabolism, burn fat, and increase your aerobic capacity! After writing all these amazing benefits I feel like I should have added more sprints to this workout, but I’ll just have to focus on that for next time =D
Fat Blasting Outdoor Workout
Perform each exercise for the below stated number of reps. Repeat for 3-4 rounds total
- Dumbbell Prisoner Get Ups – Left Leg 5 Reps: If you have never done these before I would suggest trying them without the weight first. Start off by lying flat on the ground with your arm straight up in the air above your head. Without using your hands to help you stand up, bend your left leg and tuck it under so that your left foot is planted on the ground. At the same time, use your right leg to help yourself stand up. If you are doing these without weight, hold your hands behind your head.
- Dumbbell Prisoner Get Ups – Right Leg 5 Reps: Repeat on the opposite leg
- Low Switch Lunge Jumps 10 Reps/ Leg: Start in a lunge position with both legs bent at 90 degrees. Staying low, jump your legs so that they switch positions. Try to keep your head from bobbing up and down – you want to try and maintain the same height with your legs bent the entire time to REALLY burn out your quads! Repeat for 10 reps per leg, or 20x total
- Dumbbell Plank Push 10 Reps/ Arm: Start in a plank position with the dumbbell on the ground in front of you. Using your right arm, push the dumbbell so that your arm is fully extended in front of you. Grab the head of the dumbbell, and pull it back to it’s initial spot. Repeat 10x on each arm. When I did this workout I did 5 on my right arm, switched and did 5 on my left. Then repeated this.
- Walking Push Ups 10 Reps: To perform these push ups, start with one hand staggered so that it is about 5 -10 inches ahead of your opposite hand. Do a push up and then walk one foot forward about a foot. Move the hand that is on the same side of the foot that moved forward forward as well. Perform another push up – your hands should still be staggered. I like these push ups as they work different muscles in your upper back and triceps, but also in your core.
- Square Sprints 4 Rounds: Set your cones or markers so that they form a square about 10 meters away from each other. Start at the bottom right corner and sprint to the first cone. Side shuffle to your left to reach the left cone and then back pedal to the third cone. Finally, side shuffle to your right to reach the cone you began at. Repeat this square twice going the same direction, then switch direction and repeat two more times.
Let me know how it goes and if you enjoyed the addition of sprints! Use the buttons below to like and share with your friends !